Purpose of the Position:
• Lead GSM closing, reporting, budgeting and long-term planning processes
• Lead and manage GSM worldwide direct charge and transfer pricing processes
• Manage GSM compliance requirements for tax and audit
• Provide finance leadership/ insight in support of GSM strategic initiatives and projects
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Manage and oversee the monthly financial close and forecast for GSM; ensure completeness of close and deliver a robust and accurate forecast for GSM and Corp finance.
• Lead and oversee the coordination and submission of the annual budget, to include headcount, departmental spend, direct charges, leadership charges and close collaboration with HR, IT, CSS.
• Manage the direct charges and leadership billings processes; engage with Corning cross functional groups, corporate teams in support of direct charges and transfer pricing billings.
• Collaborate and engage with SMSC Entity Finance Leaders (Switzerland and Singapore) on closing, reporting, forecasting, budget and long-range planning requirements.
• Ensure controls are in place to monitor financial process and make necessary corrections to ensure risks are identified, managed and controlled.
• Identify and achieve ways to minimize variation in finance processes and systems; build processes that work more efficiently and effectively, faster and/or at a lower cost.
• Provide analytical support and communication of key financial information and business insights, leveraging advanced analytics (Power BI, digitalization, etc.) in support of GSM organization.
• Engage with project teams to provide financial insights to facilitate the timely and efficient execution of GSM strategic program initiatives.
• Lead, develop and manage direct and indirect finance team members
Education & Experience:
• Bachelor of Science or equivalent technical degree; preferred in Accounting or Finance
• CPA or proven knowledge of US GAAP.
• Experience in managing a cohesive staff and collaboration across functional areas.
• Experience in leading/influencing others.
• 8+ years working in Finance, Accounting or related field
• Individual must present strong leadership skills, possess effective, mature presence in senior management engagements and be customer focused, results oriented, rigorous, process driven, and a team player.
• Financial Analytical Skills
o Can analyze and respond to inquiries regarding unexpected changes in financial results.
o Presents information/analysis with a balanced point of view, carefully explaining risks and critical assumptions.
o Interprets analyses by recognizing key trends across data sets and applies interpretations to develop insights into financial operations.
• Financial Systems & Process
o Financial process knowledge of closing, blackbook and greenbook.long range planning
o Has working knowledge of financial systems used (i.e., PeopleSoft & Khalix)
o Proficient with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. Can identify implications of system changes on business processes.
• Performance Excellence
o Routinely identifies ways to minimize variation in finance systems and execute finance processes that work more effectively, more efficiently, faster, or at a lower cost.
o Promotes organizational effectiveness through innovations and improvements in business processes using defined processes and tools.
• Presentation Skills
o Able to organize presentations in a way that ensures the audience understands financial terminology, concepts and the key message.
• CPA and/or MBA
• Network within Corning, Inc
• Business/Division Controller experience (within or outside of Corning).
o Sells ideas effectively; by facilitating “win-win” solutions.
o Gains cooperation from others to obtain information and accomplish goals.
o Actions are adapted to specific audiences.
o Influences through others.
• Adaptable and flexible
o Learns quickly when facing new problems.
o Analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement.
o Quickly grasps the essence and the underlying structure of situation.
• Motivating Others
o Empowers others.
o Creates a climate in which people want to do their best.
o Invites input from each person and shares ownership and visibility.
• Peer Relationships/ Collaboration
o Acts as a team player and is collaborative.
o Easily gains trust and support of peers.
o Can quickly find common ground and provide solutions for the good of all.
o Transparent communication with respect.
• Integrity & Trust
o Is widely trusted.
o Open and honest, transparent in an appropriate and helpful manner.
o Keeps confidences.
o Models Corning Values and Code of Conduct.
o Confronts unethical actions.
Career Development Opportunities:
• Periodic Engagement with Senior Financial Leadership
• Frequent interaction to all Division Finance Organizations
• Global exposure on strategic initiatives to drive value for Corning
• Frequent interaction with Global Supply Management ELT Other Information
• 0 – 10%
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
Finance Controller, GSM
Purpose of the Position: