Scope of Position
Assists Plant Controller with the monthly financial closing, analysis of actual results, internal reporting and short-term and long-term forecasting. Ensures entity compliance with local regulations, GAAP accounting principles and Corning policies and procedures. Responsible for preparation of reconciliations and the analysis of expenses to ensure financial accuracy. Key resource for plant personnel on operating expenses, supply chain transactions and the capitalization of assets. Responsible for key financial and internal control processes such as SOX documentation updates and inventory and asset physicals.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Executes and supports compliance with internal and external controls, Sarbanes Oxley requirements, GAAP accounting principles, and Corning policies and procedures.
• Assists Plant Controller with the month-end financial close process including manual journal entries, variance and spending analysis, accuracy of the general ledger, and reporting.
• Completion of month end, quarterly and annual reporting requirements
• Partners with the Plant Controller to prepare the annual budget, and short and long-term financial forecasts.
• Prepares monthly account reconciliations and quarterly SEC & tax reporting packages.
• Provides financial analysis related to capital projects, cost reduction, and other initiatives as required.
• Controls the financials for the local capital portfolio, facilitates the Appropriation Requests process, monitors capital spending, processes asset capitalizations, and maintains the accuracy of the fixed asset ledger.
• Maintains and updates plant standard costs. Partners with engineering and operations to ensure accurate material and labor hour requirements are defined.
• Ensures inventory is in compliance with Corning’s policies for valuation, slow and obsolescence (SLOB) reserves, write-offs, etc.
• Conducts audit programs such as inventory cycle counts and fixed asset physicals, leads effort to implement corrective action that resolves issues identified during audits and assessments to ensure plant financial compliance.
• Monitors spending and guides department managers to control costs. Researches and provides detail on expense variances.
• Provide ongoing finance expertise and decision support to the plant management to enable the achievement of plant goals and objectives, including cost modeling.
• Analyze and report on key plant operational and accounting metrics (recurring and ad-hoc). Present plant financial performance in various forums as required. Make recommendations for continuous improvement in both reporting and financial performance.
• Serves as consultant/financial expert to plant leadership on matters pertaining to policy, plans, projects (capital, PEx, etc.) and objectives. Conducts reviews, provides analysis and makes recommendations as required.
• Responsible for raising the financial awareness and understanding of key (non-finance) plant personnel.
• Work on process improvement within finance function: document existing processes (SOP’s) and seek improvement opportunities to reduce complexity of financial analyses related to fundamental cost understanding, capital projects, cost reductions, and other initiatives as required.
• Provides ad-hoc financial analysis for Plant Controller, Plant Leadership and Corporate Finance.
Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or other technical degree
• MBA and/or CPA preferred
• 3-5 years of relevant experience
• Manufacturing and/or Cost Accounting experience preferred
• Proven knowledge of US GAAP
• PeopleSoft and/or SAP Experience
• Khalix experience preferred
• Strong financial and accounting background
• Deep understanding of financial controls
• Ability to be comfortable interacting and communicating with all aspects of the business, including plant leadership and Corporate Finance Team
• Proficiency with Excel and PowerPoint
• Problem solving capability
• Ability to be creative in providing financial solutions to business leaders
• Ability to analyze and interpret data and link to business implications
• Ability to operate successfully in a dual reporting matrixed organization
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Attention to detail, accuracy, process-oriented and organized
• Cost modeling
• Inventory control and management
• Manufacturing/Six Sigma background
• Experience with Sarbanes Oxley/Internal Controls
• Peoplesoft Supply Chain and Finance system experience
• Team player
• Business partner
• Ability to act on initiative
• Customer focused
• Problem solver
• Willingness to embrace and drive change and act under pressure in fast-paced environment
• Culturally sensitive and savvy
• Clear dedication to excellence and advancing beyond the current state
• Organizational agility – knows who to go to seek help with a problem
• Interpersonal skills to build relationships with divisional finance team and business customers/suppliers at all levels of the organization
• Ability to manage multiple priorities, meet deadlines, work proactively and independently in an ever-changing environment
Hours of work/work schedule/flextime:
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
Finance Assistant Plant Controller, Durham
Scope of Position